Auto insurance in North and South Carolina is mandatory, and will help you to protect yourself and your family against costs that you might not be able to afford after an automobile accident. An automobile policy combines several different types of coverage, some of which are required by law.
Liability coverage pays for bodily injury and property damage if you or the insured are responsible. There are three types of liability:
- Bodily Injury Liability pays for injury to people that are a direct result of the accident when it is caused by you or another insured driver. Medical, funeral, expenses and lost wages are examples of things covered under bodily injury.
- Property Damage pays for damages to people’s property as the result of an accident. This will happen if you, or another insured person are responsible for the accident and can include repair or cash value of the damaged property.
- Supplementary expenses are in addition to your liability limits, and include things like bail bonds, loss of earnings, or other reasonable expenses.
Coverage for Vehicle Damage
This insurance covers direct and accidental loss of your vehicle. There are various types of collision insurance:
- Collision – This is physical damage to your covered vehicle caused by impacting another vehicle.
- Other than Collision – Coverage pays for damage to the insured vehicle due to non-vehicle causes including things such as :
- falling objects
- hail, water or flood
Medical Payment Coverage
This insurance will pay for medical expenses that are reasonable and necessary due to an automobile accident. You or your family members who were in the vehicle, other persons occupying the vehicle, or a vehicle driven by you are covered.
Your policy limits are included in your agreement, so make sure that you are aware of all the details, should you be involved in an accident.
Other types of insurance is available for different vehicles such as motorcycles, trailers and motor homes, but these policies can be different than the standard auto insurance.
Getting Carolina auto insurance doesn’t have to be a difficult task. If you understand the types of insurance, you will better understand what your own needs are to protect both yourself and your family. You will rest easier knowing that you and your loved ones are covered in the event that there is an unfortunate accident.